Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Non-Resolution Resolution

After doing battle with chronic, yet acute gastritis for the zillionth time in the past 3 years, I decided, as 2011 came closer, to do away with the biggest trigger for me...alcohol.

Now, this is going to be a battle in of itself. It's not the buzz, per se, that I enjoy about my occasional glass(es) of alcohol. I actually enjoy the taste...except for beer. Ick.

I can do without beer, of course, & cocktails, but I adore wine. So, I'm discovering the small, yet growing, market of non-alcoholic wine. It's so small that there are only about 5 brands available worldwide.

Only one is available at my local supermarket, the "Fre" line of wines manufactured by Sutter Home. Sutter Home isn't my favorite, even WITH alcohol in it, so when I picked up a bottle of their unleaded (so to speak) white zinfandel yesterday, I was expecting the worst. Thankfully, it was a palatable alternative. Was it awesome? No, but it satisfied my yen for a glass of wine for the time being. More varieties are available.

I also ordered a sampler case from Ariel (aka J. Lohr) in Napa, CA. These alcohol-free wines have allegedly won awards over fine wines WITH alcohol. So, we shall see. The full report will be posted here.

This is gonna suck in many ways, but at least I have an alternative to the "why are you only drinking water" question at parties. I'll just bring my OWN bottle of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment